Every May is National Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month and this year, May 2nd marks the eleventh annual National Day to Prevent Teen Pregnancy. On the National Day, StayTeen.org is promoting a number of online activities —including the popular National Day Quiz—that deliver teen pregnancy prevention messages and challenge young people to think carefully about what they might do “in the moment.” The message of the National Day is straightforward: Sex has consequences.
Groups across Colorado and the U.S. are participating in the National Month by hosting activities that raise awareness on the issue. If you’re interested in engaging with your community, here are a few ideas:
• Plan a Flash Mob. Nothing like a well-coordinated “Surprise!” that gets people talking about the issues!
• Start a “Did You Know” Campaign with facts about unintended teen pregnancy. Wrap it up with the benefits of education and the costs of ignorance.
• Host a Brown Bag Series featuring different aspects of teen pregnancy. Include the perspectives of teen parents, parents, faith leaders and youth activists.
• Screen a Movie that starts the conversation. This can be a great way for people to talk about the issues without making it too personal.
• Create an Earned Media Event that will get positive media attention.
• Write an Opinion Piece in your local newspaper.
If you’re planning to host an event or want some help planning,
! We’d love to spread the word about your event or help you plan.